Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary






The angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary your wife into your home. For it is through the Holy Spirit that this child has been conceived in her. She will bear a son and you are to name him Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”





Today, on the Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the first reading sets up a contrast between the earthly, human scope and God’s majestic reach and power. God, who brought about Mary’s immaculate conception, chose the small to do great things. The reading from Micah says God’s greatness “shall reach to the ends of the earth; he shall be peace.” From the Gospel reading, Joseph is caught up in God’s plan and drawn away from the smallness of human affairs and mere civil obedience. The angel tells him, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary your wife into your home. For it is through the Holy Spirit that this child has been conceived in her.” Do not be afraid! How many times did Jesus say that before and after the resurrection?





God, help me understand to listen out for your voice, to know when it is time for me to put my plans aside to do what you ask me to do. Joseph and Mary humbly heard what you asked of them and obeyed. In their example of humility, I want to learn to be humble so that I can also hear your voice and be fearless in following you. Without humility, do I have a chance of hearing you at all?





It seems right, Lord, to ask you what I can do for you today. Joseph, thinking he was doing the right thing, sought to divorce Mary quietly until the angel told him not to be afraid to take Mary into his home. Mary, who lived a life free from original sin, must have asked you throughout her young life how she could serve you. At the Annunciation, the angel told Mary not to be afraid and that the power of the Most High would overshadow her. She replied, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.” Teach me, Lord, to recognize the smallness of my reach in relation to yours; teach me to know and do your will.





Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.





Readings


No comments:

Post a Comment