Wednesday of the Twenty-sixth Week in Ordinary Time






As Jesus and his disciples were proceeding on their journey, someone said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go." Jesus answered him, "Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head." And to another he said, "Follow me." But he replied, "Lord, let me go first and bury my father." But he answered him, "Let the dead bury their dead. But you, go and proclaim the Kingdom of God."





Today’s Gospel reading follows yesterday’s reading, right after the passage where the Samaritan village did not allow Jesus and his disciples to pass through it on their way to Jerusalem. They then journeyed to another village. Today, then, the theme of moving on, moving forward, is consistent with yesterday. If you follow me, Jesus seems to say, you will always be on the move and have no place to rest. In this way, Jesus models for us the pilgrim life. Recognizing such an existence means that in this life, we are just passing through on our way to a new Jerusalem, the Kingdom of God.





“Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests.” How does that describe me, Lord? Help me understand how I can live in relative luxury and have a place to rest my head and follow you? Someone said to Jesus, “I will follow you wherever you go.” Given all the comforts I have in this life, how can I say as this person did that I will follow you wherever you go? Jesus, when you say, “Let the dead bury their dead,” that is harsh and unpleasant to hear. But as is clear in the Gospel, you know others’ intentions and see right through our excuses. Help me remember today, Lord, that those moments of self-sacrifice, feeling displaced, and made uncomfortable will come. When they do, give me the grace to see that this too is an opportunity to let go and simply follow you. As Saint Augustine said, “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.”





Thank you, God, for this day! Thank you for the chance to leave what is dead to the dead. Father in heaven, hear my prayers! As I pass through the day, a pilgrim on my way to a new Jerusalem, let me use your gift of time selflessly and in a way that gives you glory. Where I am needed, God, let me be present; where I am rejected, show me another way to witness to you.





Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.





Readings


No comments:

Post a Comment