Thursday of the Twenty-eighth Week in Ordinary Time






Therefore, the wisdom of God said, ‘I will send to them prophets and Apostles; some of them they will kill and persecute’ in order that this generation might be charged with the blood of all the prophets shed since the foundation of the world, from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah who died between the altar and the temple building.





These words of Jesus from today’s Gospel reading are difficult to hear. Jesus tells the scribes, Pharisees, and scholars of the law that their ancestors are responsible for killing the prophets and that later generations built them memorials. The hypocrisy Jesus points to comes out of generations and generations of the Chosen People’s disobedience to God, whom God tested in various ways. Jesus directs the gaze of those who hear him to his Father in heaven. “Therefore, the wisdom of God said, ‘I will send to them prophets and Apostles; some of them they will kill and persecute.’ ” In the same way, Jesus charges the scribes, Pharisees, and scholars of the law with the shedding of blood since the foundation of the world. Why would Jesus go so far to condemn those who killed the prophets, the ones God called to speak his words to the Israelites? In the first reading, Saint Paul makes this clear, also referring to the “foundation of the world.” He says, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . as he chose us in him, before the foundation of the world, to be holy and without blemish before him.” Jesus condemns, but in that condemnation, he calls to adoption those who hear him to be without blemish, to be holy. Or as Paul says, “in love he destined us for adoption to himself through Jesus Christ.”





God, help me make sense of this. There is a lot here to take in and make meaningful in my own life. I have to wonder about my own hypocrisy and actions from my past that you would condemn. You treat me not as I deserve to be treated but as a merciful, forgiving father through the redemption of your Son and the grace of the sacrament of Reconciliation.





Jesus, I know you are truly present in the Blessed Sacrament. Don’t let me fool myself into thinking today is about what I want out of it. Teach me to know and do your will. Help me see where I can let go of judgment and instead show mercy.





Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.





Readings






https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7YbWyPcQo

No comments:

Post a Comment