Monday of the First Week of Advent






A reading from the holy Gospel according to Matthew





When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Amen, I say to you, in no one in Israel have I found such faith. I say to you, many will come from the east and the west, and will recline with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob at the banquet in the Kingdom of heaven.”





As the centurion approaches Jesus in today’s reading, he appeals to Jesus to help his servant, who, as the centurion says, “is lying at home paralyzed, suffering dreadfully.” Jesus offers to go to him and cure him, but the centurion tells him: “Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will be healed.” Jesus is amazed at his faith and heals his servant. I notice how the centurion refers to Jesus as Lord. The term comes from the Greek word kyrie, meaning “supreme in authority.” By calling Jesus “Lord,” the centurion acknowledges that Jesus, not the emperor, has supreme authority. Jesus describes the faith of the centurion as nothing he has seen in all of Israel. It is his Father, the God of Abraham and Isaac and Jacob, who has the power and authority to draw all to him.





God, help me follow the example of faith of the centurion. At every Mass, we repeat his words: “Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will be healed.” I want to comprehend that such power and authority as the centurion had over others in no way prevented him from recognizing his helplessness in a desperate situation, where he sought the good of the other.





Jesus, let me rest in you today as if I were before you, present in the Blessed Sacrament, even amid the day’s clamor. Let me give my cares to you freely so that I can know the joy of anticipation of your birth. Through your grace, keep me attentive to your word so that I can know and do your will. Like the centurion, let me be unafraid to appeal to you for help, whatever the need.





Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.





Readings






No comments:

Post a Comment