Wednesday of the Thirty-third Week in Ordinary Time






“‘Sir, he has ten gold coins.’ He replied, ‘I tell you, to everyone who has, more will be given, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. Now as for those enemies of mine who did not want me as their king, bring them here and slay them before me.’”





The Gospel reading from today is difficult to hear if not read in light of how God is to be worshiped. In the reading from the Book of Revelation, John describes the four evangelists before God’s throne, exclaiming: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God almighty, who was, and who is, and who is to come.” The Parable of the Talents calls attention not to financial shortcomings or levels of worldly success but to devotion to God throughout life. In the parable, the king represents Jesus, present on earth as the Son of God and who will be present again as Christ the King when he returns in glory for the final judgment. In the parable, the king tells his servants: “Engage in trade with these [gold coins] until I return.” The question Jesus presents in the parable might be put this way when, at the end of this life, we meet the one who was, and who is, and who is to come: “What have you done with the coins, the gifts, I have given you?”





I might answer, God, by saying I have done little—not enough. Whatever I have done to bring forth the Kingdom of God, it was not my work but yours. What Jesus says in the parable is something I could ask myself every day, knowing the outcome of each scenario. To the servant who earns ten more coins, the king says, “Well done, good servant! You have been faithful in this very small matter; take charge of ten cities.” To the servant who returns the single coin, the king calls him a wicked servant. Bless me, Lord, with the wisdom of thinking little of what I can on my own; instead, let me love you by allowing you to act in and through me to accomplish marvelous works—your own Divine Will. God, you know that although I often stop short and gain little with the gifts you have given me, I would rather be like the servant who is faithful in small matters and hear you say, “Well done, good servant!” Help me strive to be faithful.





God, you give me every good you yourself have created. You meet me where I am and love me as I am. Help me through your grace gain the wisdom and strength I need to accomplish all that I am able with the gifts you have given me. Teach me your ways in this life so that in the life to come, I will exclaim with my whole heart: Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God almighty, who was, and who is, and who is to come.





Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.





Readings





Source of content: mycatholic.life

No comments:

Post a Comment