Thursday of the First Week of Advent






A reading from the holy Gospel according to Matthew





Jesus said to his disciples: “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the Kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.”





The words of Jesus from today’s Gospel strike the ear with his repetition of “Lord” and the warning of utter ruin that follows from building on a foundation of anything other than doing the will of the Father. When I hear Jesus saying, “Lord, Lord,” I feel accused. Lord, shouldn’t I call out to you at all times? The Gospel acclamation says, “Seek the LORD while he may be found; call him while he is near.” Jesus issues a kind of challenge in his words by directing us to the will of the Father.





God, help me understand the will of the Father, as I hear Jesus inviting me to remain authentic in my relationship with him: “Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock. The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house. But it did not collapse; it had been set solidly on rock.” Lord, you are, as Isaiah says, the eternal Rock. Thank you for the life, death, and resurrection of your Son, for his words that encourage me to lay down my own will and know and do yours instead.





Father in heaven, when I am restless and distracted today, quiet my soul. Teach me your will, and let me not be discouraged by failure to accomplish it but resolved all the more to trust in your mercy and grace. Let me have childlike hope in you, in your guidance. When I call out to you, let it be from a longing that only your love for me can fulfill. Prepare me through your gift of this day to enter your kingdom.





Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.





Readings






No comments:

Post a Comment