Thursday of the Fifth Week of Lent



A reading from the holy Gospel according to John

Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is worth nothing; but it is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’ You do not know him, but I know him.”

As Jesus reveals that he is the great I AM, some of the Jews he is speaking with challenge him when he says, “I say to you, whoever keeps my word will never see death.” The people ask Jesus if he is greater than Abraham or the prophets, who died, and Jesus answers that he is one with his Father and that the Father glorifies him. “You are not yet fifty years old and you have seen Abraham?” the people ask Jesus. He tells them: “I say to you, before Abraham came to be, I AM.” They then pick up stones to throw at Jesus, but he hides and goes out of the temple area. Why Jesus hides here is not out of fear; by doing his Father’s will, the Father glorifies Jesus. The time of his passion had not yet come.

God, help me see what it means to know you as your son knows you. If I glorify myself, my glory is worth nothing. But if I know and do your will, my every word and action will glorify you. Just as the Father glorified Jesus, I give you glory, Lord, when I make my works, joys, and sufferings of the day a means to give you glory. In your son’s promise of eternal life, I see what those of Jesus’ time could not see: the resurrection that follows his passion and death. “I say to you,” Jesus says, “whoever keeps my word will never see death.” I believe in the resurrection. Glory to you, Lord; help my unbelief.

You are ever present, Lord, and transcend time. As you once promised Abraham, you promise to me: “I will maintain my covenant with you and your descendants after you throughout the ages as an everlasting pact, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you.” Help me today, Lord, remember you are here in the present moment.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment