Christmas Weekday: January 3


 


A reading from the holy Gospel according to John

John testified further, saying, “I saw the Spirit come down like a dove from the sky and remain upon him. I did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain, he is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God.”

In Jesus, John recognizes the Son of God. John says that the “one who sent me to baptize with water” told him that he would recognize the Messiah by the Spirit coming down and remaining in him. John recognizes the divine presence of Christ by seeing and testifying that Jesus is the Son of God, as Simeon did when Mary and Joseph presented Jesus in the temple. “For my eyes have seen your salvation,” Simeon said. In my own recent experiences, words, and actions, how have I seen and testified that Jesus is the Son of God? What will I see today with my eyes that will confirm in me God’s presence through his Son?

God, help me understand that, like John, I am the one sent by you. John’s confidence in the Word of God, your Son, gave him a firm grasp of the reality of your presence; it spoke to him of his role in preparing the way for Jesus. John, freed of worldly distractions, heard your voice and followed your will. Thank you, Lord, for his example. What can I disconnect from today that will help me be more attentive to your voice so that I can grasp that you are truly present?

Lord, you seek me out and send me forth. Let me live today so that at its end, I can rest in your presence in the same way that your Spirit came down and remained with your Son. Throughout the day, grant me the grace to take courage as I listen for your voice and seek your guidance.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment