Memorial of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, Religious

Memorial of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, Religious

A reading from the holy Gospel according to John

Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter, was one of the two who heard John and followed Jesus. He first found his own brother Simon and told him, “We have found the Messiah,” which is translated Christ. Then he brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon the son of John; you will be called Cephas,” which is translated Peter.

In today’s Gospel, as Jesus walks by John the Baptist says to two of his disciples, “Behold, the Lamb of God.” The two disciples immediately follow Jesus, who asks them what they are looking for. They ask Jesus where he is staying and he tells them, “Come, and you will see. Andrew tells his brother Simon Peter that they have found the Messiah, and he brings him to Jesus. In calling Simon Peter Cephas, Jesus gives Peter a new identity as the rock on which Jesus will build his church. Just as I received a new name at Confirmation, Jesus invites us to come and stay with him and through his grace gives us a new identity to put on. Or, as Saint Paul says, “For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.” This gift beyond measure through Jesus’ birth, death, and resurrection—how willingly today will I wear that, will I put on Christ?

God, help me understand the work of your Son in your choosing from among the most humble people the first apostles. The Gospel acclamation reveals how you magnified your mercy by coming to us in the person of Christ: “In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets: in these last days, he has spoken to us through the Son.” Jesus, you are the Word of God made flesh; you are the Incarnate Word. Whatever you say, then, is spoken into existence. You speak through your Son; your Son speaks, and Simon becomes Peter, the rock on which you build your Church. Lord, create in me today a new identity so that I can recognize and do your will. From Psalm 51, I pray: “A clean heart create for me, God; renew within me a steadfast spirit.”

Lord, let me be clothed with Christ today. Help me through natural gifts you give me to make good decisions; through supernatural grace, guide me when I lose my way, and restore me in your presence. Lamb of God, have mercy!

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment