CHRISTMAS WEEKDAY: JANUARY 6

 A reading from the holy Gospel according to Mark

It happened in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized in the Jordan by John. On coming up out of the water he saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit, like a dove, descending upon him. And a voice came from the heavens, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”

In yesterday’s reading from John, Jesus tells Nathanael: “you will see the sky opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.” Today, we see Jesus going to John the Baptist for baptism in the waters of the Jordan. As Jesus rises up out of the water, the heavens open and the Spirit descends upon him. The voice of God the Father speaks from the heavens: “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.” What am I a witness to day by day that is not as magnificent as the heavens opening but is still a sign of God’s love?

Lord, help me understand that in your Son there is no untruth. What he says, comes to be; just as he said to Nathanael, so it becomes reality. The baptism by John with water precedes the baptism for all by the Holy Spirit. Of Jesus, John says: “I am not worthy to stoop and loosen the thongs of his sandals.” With such humility as John’s, what truths about your nature would I hear you reveal to me? Where are the opportunities throughout each day to recognize your divine authority, presence, and unconditional love? John describes this loving presence in the gift of your Son: “God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever possesses the Son has life; whoever does not possess the Son of God does not have life.”

Let me rest, here, Lord in your presence. In your Son, there is the baptism by the Holy Spirit; that is, dying and rising to new life through his resurrection. Grant me the grace, Lord, to recognize and hold in my heart today what Nathanael saw in Jesus: “You are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel.”

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment